Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Week 2: I'm doin' okay

Week 2: I’m doin’ okay

Firstly, the school cultural activities have gotten more up my alley. We were supposed to sing and dance this week and, even though we didn’t get to the dancing park, the singing we still a huge improvement from stringing together rows of beads. I wouldn’t say that I’m a fan of structure and so the precise, repetitive tasks don’t bode well with me. Neither does being dictated to, but in a culture of people coming fresh out of a communism mindset, that is something I need to get used to. The influence of the political processes of a country on daily life is remarkable.
You see, I like not having structure when it means society is more versatile and willing to listen to new ideas. However, I do not like it when it means I need to do whatever other people have planned whenever they want me to do it. This comes into play at school. I do appreciate all the different activities we get to do, but wish we had a little more say. The first instance of this came up when we were told we would learn to dance. This was great news for me because it was something I was really excited to do. We planned on dancing on one day so I got excited and dressed appropriately.  Instead, we sat and watch a concert all afternoon. That was good too, but a bit of a disappointment after I was all revved up for doing something active. I was disappointed because I wasn’t sure dancing would ever happen. IT did though, at the drop of a hat on another day. I was wearing a sundress that day but luckily brought shorts, anticipating the unexpected. Chris, who happened to be very good at dancing, wore jeans and was not so lucky. I could feel his disappointment as I remembered the frustration I felt when I couldn’t skate properly. Every day is an adventure and every day has its ups and downs. Although it’s difficult to build trust or depend on anything, I do appreciate the times when things work out.
This week, I got a little closer with my classmates. After a couple good conversations, I feel like a at least know a bit about their backgrounds and start to connect a little deeper. I have a strong believe in God and so I know I am never really alone, but I do really value the company from other people, whether it’s getting to know a friend better or a friendly smile in the park. I am still having my ups and downs but the ability to keep consistent connections with people at home helps a great deal. At least I can depend on that. Thanks for being there for me.

These are a few of my adventures and discoveries:
*I am not a museum person. I like to learn, but looking and walking doesn’t quite cut it, especially when the weather outside is beautiful.
*Found some trail mix!
*Had a test and did well, despite my lack of motivation.
*Milk and I don’t mix well. I occasionally get some pasteurized (I believe) yogurt at the grocery store but need to be very careful with any other dairy product and any other place to buy it. Even ice cream is nearing the no-buy list.
*Brie was having some troubles and I was really glad to be able to talk to her about them
*Kalyn, Brie and I had a chat about missing out boyfriends and went on a quest to find some cook T-shirts Kalyn saw (see the Facebook pics). Poor Chris has to put up with us . . .
*I saw kayakers and tried to go to a place to rent Kayaks (two days I tried). To m y disappointment, we couldn’t find anyone to help us but that won’t stop me. It looks like a commercial club so I plan on coming out in front of their place one afternoon to wait for someone to show up. I have been told that the lake is too dirty to swim in (although have seen swimmers in there already) but it would be nice to at least able to kayak. Any possibility of having someone be able to translate and help me is gone (another frustration of the language barrier and challenge to living here), but I’ll make do o ne of these days.
*I tried a Zorb. In this case, a Zorb is a large inflatable beach-ball-type-thing that can hold a person and that floats on water. It was fun but could be devastating if it leaks so I don’t think I’ll try it again.
*Visited some castles and the Dniester river (detailed description to follow)

Just so you know, I've run itno some camera issues but plan on eventually posting pictures to go with these blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment