Sunday, June 26, 2011

Carpathians

I feel like I’m getting to be a seasoned traveler as I continue to write about these amazing weekend getaways. It seems like there is a new adventure planned for us every weekend.  This week’s (June 11-13) excursion was one I’ve been looking forward to for a long time - a trip to the Carpathian Mountains! It was a time of seeing monuments, shopping, perfecting my napping technique, experiencing the outdoors and bonding.

Like every weekend getaway this summer, we spent a lot of time stopped at many monuments. By and by, I am very impressed with Ukraine’s dedication to its history and the reminders of it. Like I mentioned in an earlier blog, the Ukranian people seem to celebrate a lot. Along with festival-like celebrations, they celebrate through making anything possible – whether it be a face with make-up, straw, music or history - into a work of art. I suppose monuments are used to celebrate history or remember a lesson learned. Due to the abundance of monuments we saw and the language difference that made it difficult to decipher the significant of these, I do not remember all of the ones we visited. Key themes that seem to be monument-worthy are Ukraine’s independence, family, famous artists, and Ukrainian people travelling to other countries.

Each time we stopped, there were shops, toilets and beer.  By then end of this trip, it became habit that I would find food, water and a toilet at every stop (while trying to avoid the shops), Brieanne would shop (Kalyn, speedy gonzolas, would do both), and Chris would sit and have a beer while waiting for us. (Just as a side-note: beer and ice cream are fair game at any hour of the day . . . or morning . . .)
As we learned while repacking Kalyn’s bag at the airport, these may not have been the best habits to have but, as Brie would say, “It is what it is.”

For this trip, I was absolutely exhausted. We didn’t do as much hiking as expected because it was so wet outside but I was very tired anyway . . . so tired that I didn’t mind the long car rides because it meant I could nap! I now have a very handy napping position: rather than trying to find something to élan on and having my head bump and squish against the window at every pothole, I look very ladylike by simply folding my hand in my lap, crossing my ankles, squishing a sweater between my ear and shoulder and closing my eyes. Presto – I’m gone in less than 60 seconds!

This weekend’s field trip was great because it was right up my alley. Rather than coordinating through the maze of busy subways and busses to see famous buildings and places, we were there to take in the peaceful awesomeness of nature on our own two feet. It was too wet for us (ie. For the old and injured) to hike up the mountain we planned but we did get to stay at a house in the mountains, take a short walk up one hill and a chairlift up another, plus visit a waterfall.
The small hill we climbed was just outside of the house we were staying at. I think it was once a ski hill as there was an old chair lift to the top and a valley on the other side. The view was amazing: lots of grass and tall wildflower blossoms gripping the rolling hills, yielding to a background of sky and mountains.  It was dusk and about to rain while we were up there so the sky was almost violet and full of dark grey thunderclouds. This view made me feel small as it reminded me of the power, drama and awesomeness of nature
The day we went to the waterfall instead of the mountain actually cleared up but that just made the waterfall more beautiful. Our guide joked about butting Niagra to shame (to which they didn’t come close), but they were formed by large, smooth rock. Like mortar, dark soil surrounded the rock and acted as a fertile base for dark green moss and trees.
 It was great to see some of the natural environment Ukraine has to offer and to have a chance to be active, exploring the rocks, trees and small paths.

As powerful as the sights were, it was the company that made this trip what it was. This was a trip for bonding as we saw our professor and guide in a new environment and light, and furthered our bond to a more relaxed friendship with our tutors.
Out tour guide is quite the character and I believe he is a geography and history prof at the Pedigocial University (where we took the Ukranian course). He’s middle-aged and missing a couple back teeth but that, his enthusiasm, humor, grey/balding head, and friendly brown eyes just add to his charm. It’s obvious that he’s very excited about teaching  and about doing it in a down-to-earth way enough to establish a personal connection – even if it can only be through eye contact and poking fun.
Our coordinator (Kalyn and Chris’ prof), Olena, is the overbearing mother of the crowd. She’s thin, cautious, and most times quiet – until she wants to get something across (at which times there’s no discussion and her bottom line goes). She’s also nice though, and from Kalyn’s experiences, a very fun, effective, dedicated teacher who values the experiences we are having.
Olena’s son, Bokton, is one of out tutors. He is 18yrs old and the typical smart-guy character. At first he seemed a bit awkward but I think it’s jus this stiff humor that makes him seem that way. Bokton’s favourite pastimes include studying, making fun of us girls, and talking to Chris about computer stuff. (I think Chris ended up being a role model for him  . . . poor guy!) Teasing is even more funny when people speak different languages because wit is unexpected and everything is a little more awkward in translation!
The girls, our tutors, are so funny!
After our trip to Kyiv, we’ve started to bond more and see another side o them. They’re so girly and fun – we joke and are sarcastic and they tease right back! In fact, I was just interrupted from writing because they came over for a visit giggling like little school girls. You see, there’s talk of going to the disco, but Alessa says, matter of factly “Olena will kill us.” Sometimes life here seems very free-spirited because people generally just do what they want but when it comes to superiors, a schedule is set and stuck to. Others are powerless and there is no discussion.
(For me, one of those people who always wants a reason for things, this is a difficult pill to swallow and I think a reason for not feeling totally comfortable here. I like to optimize (time, resources, etc) and often have new ideas so I have trouble accepting hard fast rules without  seeing the logic.)
The Ukranian lifestyle can also be very freeing:
Last night, Olia, the more quiet and traditional tutor, was awake until 3am. When asked what she was doing, she said she wasn’t dong anything – just sitting and watching TV, awake for no reason at all. I met an artist with a similar mentality: he is in law scool right now, but the lawyer stuff is really just to fund his art and travels. He wants to create, see the world and connect with people. This view on life is refreshing: At home, it seems musch more common to schedule and rest so we can be productive the next day and take part in all our commitments. Here, though, that’s irrelevant. In Ukraine, and what I’ve heard of Europe in general, you do what you want when you want and worry less about health or other repercussions. It’s like summertime in cottage country. This, I like!

That's all, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment