Friday, June 10, 2011

Actors and Outcasts

Today, I met another Gypsie on the bus.

Gypies are a group of people that belong to a culture within a culture. They’re known for their rebellion from society’s rules, their nomad lifestyle, and their relentless begging. To many people in Ukraine, Gypsies are perceived as annoying because of their begging and their lack of conforming. The two most popular begging zones I have notices are just outside churches and on the bus. Word on the street says that they are actually quite wealthy and get trained in begging strategies rather than any type of  curriculum in our regular school system.

Today, I put that to the test.

While commuting to school, I encountered a Gypsie on the bus I was riding. Once he had entered the bus he began to pray and chant, then looked very sorrowful as he walked up and down the aisle to collect money.
I was seated at the front of the bus and had an empty seat beside me so, as soon as the boy finished collecting small bills from disgruntled passengers; he plopped down beside me like any other young boy would.  Wondering whether or not I should give him any money, I asked him – in Ukranian that he understood – how he was doing. Immediately, he responded that he was going well. It’s a lot easier not to give to someone who doesn’t seem in need so I didn’t feel as bad refusing him money after that.
Then, when the boy realized I may actually have something to give, he turned on his acting skills once again. The transformation was remarkable as his body twisted in pretend pain, his eyes got sad and misty, and his mouth fell open like his jaw was too tired to hold it shut. Eventually, after him persisting for money and me continuously refusing or pretending not to understand, we sat quietly.
The Gypsie boy is an outcast from Ukranian society by his skin colour and occupation whereas I am disconnected through my lack of Ukranian vocabulary. For the rest of the ride, we sat comfortably united in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment