Sunday, April 10, 2011

Waves of Excitement


This weekend has been gorgeous and that weather is really getting me excited for my summer in the Ukraine! I will miss being home with family and friends, but I know there will be a lot of good in the Ukraine as well. I am looking forward to learning my way around Ternopil and having days of fun activities and fresh air with the girls of Internat.
To add to my excitement, I spent Saturday afternoon at a local adventure store looking for equipment. The shopping experience certainly made this Beyond Borders journey feel more real. Can you believe I'll be leaving in just a tad over two weeks? And I'll be gone for three months. Tomorrow, my flights will be booked. I'll be leaving on April 28 and returning Aug 12.Yikes

A few people have asked me if I'm emotionally ready. My answers have been pretty noncommittal because I don't even know what I'm getting ready for. I can plan all I want but I've been told time and again that my experience will not be as planned. So, as far as being prepared goes, I am expecting the unexpected and will not be sure if I am ready until I get there. I'm sure I will have my doubts even when I'm in the Ukraine, but whatever happens, happens. I feel like I have done enough planning and risk assessment to last a lifetime but am fully aware that I have not covered every possible situation. I know what do to in an emergency and I have a plan for accessing money and communicating with home. Besides that, I' have to just deal with whatever comes up.

Emotionally, I feel like I need a bit more of a plan. I want to make sure I get a lot out of this experience but not at the expense of loosing connection with my dearest friends and family at home. I plan to stay connected and sane by calling home once a week,
Continuing to write blogs, possibly checking out facebook (but don't expect a response to messages left there), checking email a couple times per week, journaling and staying active. There's not gym in the area but I plan to work out in the morning, walk to my placement, and do activities with others in the afternoon.
I also plan to bring Jean Vanier's "Becoming human," and a couple other feel-good books. I know bringing my ipod is a risk, but I'll be bringing it anyway - gotta have some good tunes.
My comfort food consists of some peaches 'n cream oatmeal and some tea. I would bring chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter as well but I don't think they'd last the journey.
I also really like Wherther's and those white and green mints. These candies will also be good for giving to other people.

All this talk of coping strategies is giving me knots in my stomache. I can do it though . . . I know I can.


Thank you to all of you who helped make this experience possible. I am very appreciative of your financial contributions and could not have done it without your collective emotional support. I will be sure to keep you updated through my blog postings.
 For those of you who donated, I am sorry I could not organize a thank you dinner before I leave, but I will be sure to make a good Ukrainian home cooked dinner for you upon my return. (That is, once I have learned how to cook one!)

Thank you for your time, your concern, and your prayers.

Until next time,

Jess V

1 comment:

  1. You've always wanted to "make a difference" and you have already - your outlook and enthusiasm is contageous and will continue to be so - when in doubt, draw deep from within - it's there!

    ReplyDelete