Saturday, May 28, 2011

Back to Bucharesti

We were in such a rush to catch the last bus to Bucharest that I hadn’t had time to take a bathroom break. I really needed a washroom. Really bad.
After some failed attempts with shopkeepers and even the subway, I was getting anxious to say the least. (Don’t be too grossed out - I’m sure you know this feeling, when you’re actually afraid to laugh or even smile because you think you’re “gunna blow” . . .) Tie was running out so I pleaded with a server at a Romanian Thai food restaurant. He must have seen the desperation in my eyes because he broke store rules to let me go.
Those Canadian flags came in handy once more here as an appreciated thanks for access to the facilities. A couple other situations have also showed me that Canadians really are liked around the world. It’s nice to know we have friends in so many places – let’s keep it that way.

It was after the washroom fiasco that Laura picked us up for a quiet night of pizza, YouTube videos and quality time with their cat, Kiwi. I really like this style of travelling that is ore like visiting – sure we planned on seeing the sights but that was never the be-all, end-all of the trip.

The next day, our plan of sightseeing in Bucharest turned out more like a bathroom and bucket tour. To make a long storey short, Jordan spilled his cookies and I got to play homemaker by taking the opportunity to try to take care of him, do some laundry and check email. Let’s just say I’m new to this caretaking business, as I managed to offer him carpet cleaner instead of the blue Gatorade I was going for . . .  I felt so bad! Jordan survived though, and the laundry turned out just fine. I still got a bit of a tour, too, when Jasson and I went to the grocery store. According to him, the tour could be considered complete the moment I stepped in some dog poo. The dogs are everywhere and so are their remnants!

That night, we had a delicious dinner at Jasson’s favourite restaurant, Caru’cu Bere. This place has an atmosphere much like The Duke in Waterloo but is three floors big, serves marvelous dinner, and is complete with dancers – of the classy traditional Romanian variety. Caru’cu Bere is famous for its large quantities of beer (since it was once a beer museum), but Jordan and I, with our sensitive stomaches, stuck to lemonade. Jasson tackled the beer with ease and the German couchsurfing marathon runner next to us felt at home with his red wine.
When perusing the menue, my brain wanted something Romanian but my stomache was craving the 399 Midwood classic – baked beans. Thus, I was ecstatic to learn that pork n’ beans are an old Romanian staple. Horray!
Dinner was fantastic and Jordan managed to get some soup down. Our brested desert was also quite good.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahah....Great stories. Good to read that you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete