Monday, March 21, 2011

Routine meets Spontaneity: A Souper Day

Today, I finished work five minutes early and left work two hours late. This is why I have a love-hate relationship with spontaneity.
My day started off pretty brutal but routine nonetheless. I’ve been battling a cold and debated about going to my placement at the working centre because I didn’t want to spread my germs, because I was exhausted,  and because I was really dreading breaking up my work day get again. However, I figured I was over the contagious stage and could physically do it so off I went. I am so glad I did! Being there is like having a trip home. Sure, there are different people, but I get a break from the hustle and bustle and the yearn for productivity. The working centre is a place where you enjoy each other’s unique character, where you value the experiences of others however vastly different from your own, and where people value you for who you are – not what you do. I picked my placement so I might learn to cook but am learning so much more while I am there. Every day at the working centre guarantees a life lesson. Today’s lesson is one on routine (and mushroom soup).
I usually claim to get bored with routine and aim to mix things up a bit but today was one of those days where I saw how routine can serve and build community. The lesson began even before I got on the bus to get to my placement and continued throughout the day until 6:25pm, when spontaneity struck. Let me explain:
This morning, after waking up with hardly a voice at all, I decided to stock up on Halls at a little shop where I work. I didn’t immediately have the correct change but the lady who works at the shop just asked how much I had and I’m pretty sure  was going to just give me the cough drops for whatever was in my pocket. That may be because she heard the squeak in my voice or it may be because I buy milk from her almost daily she had begun to care about me. In any case, I found enough cash but did appreciate the offer. It’s nice know that she recognizes my face and appreciates my business, even if we don’t know each other by name.
A similar but opposite situation came up at the working centre. As I mentioned above, I enjoy working in the kitchen with an eclectic groups of characters.  We’ve gotten to know each other a bit partly through conversation but mostly through familiarity. Routine is important because if you show up at the same time and place to do the same thing week after week, you recognize the faces. This is comforting to me and it helps to build trust, too. Consistency is key, as I have learned both hard and easy ways. In the kitchen, I learned this the easy way by seeing the smiling faces on people as I enter the door. Worries are wasted and replaced by the task at hand. I learned the hard way by ordering food at a local shop. At this shop, I watched a usual patron order a plate of veggies and bun. She was granted with a nice warm, big, fluffy bun that would make anyone’s mouth water. I thought it looked really good so I ordered the same thing. However, I was given a portion about 2/3 the size of hers and not nearly as appetizing. (I know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but this difference kept me hungry for the afternoon.)  I’ll admit, I was a bit bitter about the difference in treatment, but it made me think about why that would have happened. I think it’s because this usual patron has been giving their business and company day after day, consistently building relationship with the server. I, on the other hand, stopped by because I was hungry, wanted to build relationship and wanted to contribute to the community. Although I had good intentions and reasons for eating where I did, the server didn’t know that. To them, I was a hungry consumer looking to get what I could. It takes consistency, routine, and patience to gain the trust of others enough for them to give of themselves. I am not yet getting the big buns but that’s okay – it’ll probably do me some good to be a little bit hungry.
As important as consistency and routine are in finding community, so is spontaneity. Today, as I was leaving work those precious five minutes early, I said hello to a girl in y program. We started with small talk about our weekends and ended our conversations two hours and a few life stories later. We talked about everything from alcoholism to religion to politics and new ideas. Now, she’s more than a girl in my program – I’d say I made a friend tonight. Even though that chat totally through off my night and put me even farther behind in all those responsibilities, I really appreciated it because I got to know someone, shared a bit about myself, and was inspired to reflect. As I was writing this blog (at work but off the clock because I was afraid I would be too tired to write when I got home), my friend Katie stopped by. She can read my mind through a few words in a text and decided it was time for a visit, so that’s what we did. I really like my job but I have never had so much fun at work – we caught up (even though we already pretty much guessed what was going on with each other) and laughed hysterically. 
This is why spontaneity is rules. There’s no way I could have scheduled a night like this but I’m very glad it happened. It is the times like these that put life in life.
If you’re feeling drab, I challenge you to take an alternate route to school or work one day, or to strike up a good conversation with someone. Do you see all those new people around? Do you hear their perspectives? They too are filled with amazing experiences, riveting stories and tender hearts. There truly is a whole lot more to this world and the people in it.
In short, this blog is about soup, (but not a melting pot). I see routine as a base for community; it is important to see familiar people and get to know them. Spontaneity adds some spice to the mix.

3 comments:

  1. Cute blog Jess! I will hold onto every word and I'm going to challenge myself to do something different this week!
    -Sebastien :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Jess!!! I think you made many good points about the need for consistency to build trust and a little spontaneity to keep things interesting. Thank you for your reflections- this blog post was inspiring and uplifting and I will definitely be putting more effort into ensuring that I explore those new perspectives you were talking about. Thanks!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy that you are enjoying your time at the working centre! Spontaneousness is such a good ability to work with and I think when we travel this summer it is something we will all have to come to accept.
    Hope you have more interesting moments to break up the last week of school!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete