Monday, March 28, 2011

A Functional Blog


Myers and Brigs had the right idea. 

Last term, our Beyond Borders class completed the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, a classification tool used for bettering our understanding of ourselves. After completing many questions and word association pairs (which seem redundant to the untrained eye), we were classified into different types based on where we get our energy, how we take in information, and how we make decisions. It was considered useful because it gives insight into our strengths and can prepare us for things we will find challenging. In addition to helping us understand the patterns to who we usually, this tool helps us understand what we will be like under stress. The Myers Briggs results provides you with a code indicating your usual patterns, and ones indicating the patterns you will most likely exhibit while uncomfortable and under extreme stress. Without exposing you to my inner workings too much, I'll just say that I am usually a people person who values understanding and creativity. Lately, though, I have been in "get-'r done" mode, completing what is necessary and moving on; looking at things objectively; and turning inward. There's nothing wrong with that - it helps me get done what I need to do. However, it is this change that lets me know maybe I am pretty stressed.

So, to embrace this functional self of mine, I invite you to read my very functional blog about some of the outstanding questions I have been asked and that I have been asking myself.

Why are you doing this?
Simply put, I feel (yay - I'm my old self again!) that gain overcomes cost and potential benefits outweigh risk.

This is what I have gained subjectively: friendships of fellow Beyond Borders students, deepened connection with people of similar experiences/interests, understanding and gratitude for support, exposure to different cultures and global issues, ignition for conversations about global issues, deepened self awareness, satisfaction of accepting the challenge, respect for doing something difficult, deepened understanding of community, fun events, smiles, appreciation, inspiration
These are the objective advantages so far: public speaking experience, maybe a reference letter, practice for writing proposals, budgeting, one to two credits

Through continuation of the program, I think potential benefits include: development of the previously mentioned skills and relationships, a chance to bring joy to the oppressed, time to learn about oppression and recreation and how to use those lessons to build happiness (both in the Ukraine and at home).
Objectively: volunteer hours, Ukranian language, two credits.

So far, the losses of this equation are summed up in two valuable words: time and money. Time could have been spent with friends or family. I have stayed active throughout but could have trained more diligently. Also, I could have been involved in my program or more devoted to my other classes and job or even relaxed a little bit more. This summer, I think the most difficult part about being away will be missing out on what's happening at home. I will be missing a summer on the lake with family (including a young niece and nephew that I adore). I'll also be missing my last summer in school with my friends, and the opportunity to continue training and competing with the triathlon club. (Who would have thought I would be upset about not going to school in the summer?) I could have used the time during the term to hold a part time job or the placement portion to get a paying co-op job. With regards to the financial aspect, I could save that money to go towards professional or grad school, pay off OSAP or start a program to benefit this community. I am very grateful for the donations I have received, as they have helped a lot with the funding challenge.
I could also be on the loosing end of the risks I describe in the next question, below.

Sure some of those skills and development could happen without this program, and I don't necessarily need the credits of volunteer experience for my future career. However my justification for my involvement in the Beyond Borders program, in it's barest form, is that for my whole university career and most of my life before, I have wanted to travel to help and learn from people. I previously felt that these opportunities are few and far between and would like to take advantage of this one, which worked well with my education, is reasonably priced, provided support to help me prepare. Beyond Borders is lifestyle-changer, not a momentary escape.

What are the risks?


Health: The Ukraine has elevated risk for tuberculosis, measles, diptheria, hepatitis, rabies, and encephalitis compared to Canada. To avoid these, I received inoculations for all but rabies. Instead of getting a preventative needle for rabies, I intend to stay away from suspicious animals. Water-born illness will be prevalent so I plan on treating my own water.
Environmental: The climate in the Ukraine is much like ours in Southern Ontario. Thus, I will take the usual precautions. I will be living in an urban area rampid with pollution and much more cigarette smoke than is acceptable in Canada. To deal with this, I will escape to rural areas and open spaces whenever possible and will be aware of a reoccurrence of my childhood asthma. The Ukraine is famous for it's Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster so radiation is probably still higher than that in Canada. However, travel websites say the radiation levels are considered safe. I will try even harder to avoid carcinogens as an attempt to negate this risk.
Political: As with many cities, there is always the risk of terrorism. However, Lviv is not the largest Ukrainian city and has enough problems of its own so I don't think terrorism will be likely from other countries. (Knock on wood.) Political unrest is a more applicable risk as there are reports of radically motivated violence. This is mostly in Kiev but is apparent across the country. To keep myself safe in these situations, I plan on: paying close attention to personal security, monitoring the media, avoiding demonstrations, and registering my travel contact details with the Canadian government and my loved ones.
Personal: There as a risk of car accident and crime to me personally due to aggressive drivers, poorly maintained roads, poor lighting, and desperate conditions. Also, there is a risk of injury and illness. I will try not to take unnecessary risks and will try to take the recommended precautions. If I do fall ill or become injured, I will seek the required medical attention and ask my Ukrainian language instructor to translate if necessary. I have travel insurance and will notify people of my emergency plan.


What will you be doing?
At my post in the Ukraine, I will be supporting an orphanage for women and girls with various disabilities. The organization is called Internat, and it is located in Ternopil, Ukraine. I was chosen for this placement because of my joyful spirit, my coping/problem-solving abilities, and my enthusiasm for sharing these traits and skills. According to the program coordinator, I am right for this placement because I have heart – and I have it in spades. In the Ukraine, I will undoubtedly be exposed to much hardship as I witness the corruption, exclusion, and neglect faced by the people of Internat. I, along with another student Brieanne, will surely encounter some of the aforementioned challenges as we attempt to learn the language and adjust in order to make Ternopil our home for the three months. Although Brieanne and I will be living in different homes, I am glad to have someone familiar along for the journey and I am looking forward to being a resource to her as we grow and learn together. Mostly, though, I am looking forward to using my enthusiasm and creativity to improve the quality of life for the people at Internat. In the very least, I hope to bring a smile to their faces and a sparkle to their eyes.


What will the living arrangements be like?
I will be living with a family who either have no children or who have a son a few years older than me. I am looking forward to experiencing the Ukraine as they do, and I am grateful for the support that they will provide. They have had billets like myself before so they have an idea of what I will be going through. I picture living in an apartment, and eating good Ukranian comfort food with them at dinner. I am not 100% how healthy the water is so I will buy water purification drops. Since the family has has students before I think they will be able to tell me if it is safe for me to drink their water. I am sure there will be a lot of alcohol on hand. If I drink, I usually limit myself to one or two during the night, plus I want to keep up my training habits and health lifestyle so I don't anticipate having a problem with alcohol consumption (besides maybe pressure and culture to drink more).
Apparently I will be able to walk from my house to the University where I will learn Ukraine and to my placement at Internat. Brieanne and I will be going to school with some student from Alberta so I am looking forward to meeting them. Also, I was told that one of the university professors usually plans weekend trips for the students so I will be sure to be traveling in the area.

How can I stay active?
The university I will be near may have a gym. If I do not have access to a gym, I will at least be able to run. There's a lake nearby so I might be able to go swimming (provided the water is clean). I would like to find a bike and a buddy to exercise with. I will also have time to be active playing with the children at Internat.

How will I access money?
According to Dr. Tataryn, I shouldn't have any trouble using my debit or credit card so I will access money that way. My credit card has a limit on it and I have recorded the number I need to call to cancel it if it is lost or stolen.

How will I keep important documents safe?
I'll make photocopies and carry the photocopies while also keeping copies at home and electronic versions. I'll keep the actual documents in a safe place, such as a safe.

How will the language barrier be addressed?
The family I will be living with will know some English and the professor I am taking classes with can also speak English. If I am in dire need of translation, I will email Dr. Tataryn.
BEfor eI leave, I would like to learn the Ukranian alphabet. While I am there, I will be taking a course to help me with the language.

How will I be able to communicate with home?
I was told that I will be able to access internet cafes so I can communicate via email and possibly skype. I will also be buying a cell phone in the Ukraine and will be mailing postcards. I will dedicate at least an evening per week to speak with my family because I know they'll be worrying about me. Also, I'll be sure to tell them the good things in addition to venting because I know how important it is that they know how much I enjoy myself despite the adversity I face. I plan on keeping a blog too. All of these communication avenues seem daunting to me right now, but I need to remember how important it is to people that they still feel a part of my life and know I am safe. I too would like to stay in the loop of what is going on at home.

Answering these questions has put me more at ease about this journey and I hope it has helped my readers to feel more comfortable too. I know first hand how difficult it is to research the Ukraine and to sit and wait for information when you are being hounded by questions. Hopefully future students going to the Ukraine will find some comfort in what I have shared. I'm in good hands and I think you will be too.

2 comments:

  1. If there's anything I might be able to comment on, it's the environmental conditions -- Ternopil is a city of roughly 220,000 people, making it pretty similar (in size at least) to Kitchener-Waterloo. Even though environmental laws in Canada are almost certainly way more stringent than in Ukraine, air pollution is probably not that bad. Ternopil is also in a hilly highland area on the edges of the Carpathian mountains, a few hundred meters above sea level (again, similar to K-W) so I would imagine the air is better than in the lowlands to the east.

    As for the radiation issue, I know the media has been going nuts over the problems in Japan but Chernobyl is a different story. Ternopil is far away from Chernobyl and in an entirely different watershed (i.e. runoff doesn't carry soil contaminated with radioisotopes). The fallout from the accident in 1986 was mainly blown into what is now Belarus and Russia and has had 25 years to work on breaking down already (that's why there's radioactivity at all; if there were no radiation, it would mean that the products are stable). Furthermore, a lot of people risked and lost their lives to contain and clean up Chernobyl to the state it is today.

    As for politics and ethnicity, western Ukraine is almost entirely populated by ethnic Ukrainians so there shouldn't be the sort of tensions that there are elsewhere. This doesn't rule it out, but like you said, it's better than in other regions like Kiev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh -- my original detailed comment did not go through! Will summarize here, and as I've said before: feel free emailing me with ANY questions, big or small.

    - unfortunately, the University does not have a Western style gym facility. However, we usually had "extracurriculars" every afternoon. Mondays were Music, Tuesdays were Physical Activity, Wednesdays were Culture, etc... for the physical activities we learned Ukrainian dances (seriously!) and played basketball or other games in a gymnasium.

    - do NOT swim in Ternopil's lake! It is man made, and there were usually men fishing around the perimeter, as well as young boys/teens jumping in occasionally... but our tutors warned us that it was not advisable to actually go for a swim there. I'd steer clear... there is a great path around the edge for walking, biking, etc though. Also, you will have to go on at least one boat ride while you're in Ternopil :)

    - as for debit/credit cards: ATMs are fairly easy to find. Credit cards are not widely accepted though, but may be more so in a larger city such as Lviv. They can be used at ATMs and so can debit cards, but be warned that your Canadian bank likely has high international withdrawal fees (i.e., $5 per withdrawal). To minimize the expensive fees, I would withdrawal enough money for two or three weeks (taking into consideration bus costs, snacks, travel plans, etc and some extra). Count on using cash, just don't carry large sums on you at one time! (Lock away the rest at your apartment if possible.)

    - As for exercise: near the "new" mall on the edge of Ternopil, there is a large track that we ran/walked at... since it was on the edge, it was close to the 'country' part of town (where most dachas were). There were also playgrounds that had "gym" type equipment (bars? etc.) and soccer fields... We walked as much as we could, some days we would forgo the bus and walk to the University/Internat.

    - Rabies: there are a LOT of stray dogs in Ternopil... not sure if that has changed in the last year or two. But most were harmless and not aggressive, it was just weird to see dogs wandering around all the time :) Other than that your contact with animals will probably be limited.

    - As for pollution... cigarette smoke will be the biggest air quality concern! Ternopil is not a huge metropolis, and is not far from country/rural areas, so pollution is not a big issue to worry about in terms of your health.

    - ...and as for Chernobyl, it is nowhere near Ternopil. Ternopil is quite far West in Ukraine, and like Adam said, Chernobyl is North East - closest to Belarus and Russia (and Kiev). However, I personally didn't eat mushrooms while I was there... think that was more of a personal superstition though :)

    - your host family may or may not have an Internet connection... mine did with their own computer (which was a blessing as I didn't bring my laptop with me!) but other host family's didn't and then students relied on Internet cafes (another thing to budget for).

    - cellphones: just buy the cheapest, most basic phone there... and do pay as you go (cheapest/simplest option I found)

    - the girls at the Internat LOVE cameras... I'd try to bring extra/cheap ones if possible? I think Denise (2010) tried to ship them last summer but it was quite the hassle... they also love music, dancing, singing, craft/art supplies, etc... more on this later!

    ReplyDelete