Sunday, January 16, 2011

Here Goes!


Hi all!

Let me just start off by saying that the preparation involved in this program/course/journey has been an emotional roller coaster: from almost-paralyzing fear and utter disbelief as my eyes are slowly being opened to some harsh realities of our world to silver-lining moments of inspiration and, my favourite, a heart bubbling over with love.

The Beyond Borders program is all about caring about our world and using our own unique abilities to make an impact in it, as we in turn are transformed by what we learn. The program promotes "living life in a way that is both meaningful and valuable as an aspect of responsible global citizenship" (http://www.sju.ca/beyondborders.html).
To do so, each Beyond Borders class completes two courses in preparation for their term abroad: Current Ethical Issues; and Justice, Peace and Development. This blog is a requirement for the latter of the two, and will be used as a tool for reflection as we experience volunteering in the broader KW community before venturing to a further destination.

Like in previous years, the Beyond Borders class of '11 will be with the Working Centre this term. I say will "be with" them because that is what we are supposed to do - we are supposed to be. According to what we learned at our first meeting, much more can be shared by being, existing, together than struggling to finish whatever tasks need to be done. This speaks to our innate need for companionship and, incidentally, means that I will be able to contribute something even if I end up putting computers together (probably my weakest area). That said, we were strongly encouraged to jump right out of our comfort zone because "If we're feeling comfortable, we're not learning." That's comforting. . .
Based on what I know right now, I think that Working Centre is fantastic organization. My following blogs will give more information about it and the programs is provides but until then, you can check out some links provided at the end of this one. The Centre especially touched me because it makes me think of a similar organization in Norfolk County. I like to daydream about how I could apply what I learn here to what could be done at home in Norfolk.

Speaking of application of knowledge, if you know me well, you will know that I prefer action to discussion and discussion to writing. (Have no fear; thinking plays a big part in all.) One of the obstacles I face when writing these blogs is that I am learning so much and have so much to share that my fingers simply cannot type fast enough -even if they could, I would be writing for days. I would rather just go do it. For example, the following works inspired me straight out of reflection and onto the drawing table: "Building relationships where people are real," by Ken Westhues, and "Personal Action Towards the common good," by Stephanie and Joe Manccini. Don't you worry though - they and other relevant works will be discussed in future blogs. With this in mind,
please engage me in conversation and ask your questions because what I share here is but the tip of a magnificent iceberg.

Before concluding this first blog, I would like to share with out a prime example of the mutual learning that happens as a result of the Beyond Border program:
This past Friday, Beyond Borders students were asked to share our opinions about preparing for a global experience. I arrived with a few ideas in my head, expecting to answer questions and leave feeling like I helped people understand what it is like to be in my shoes. That happened but, through conversations with the researchers and students who have already completed similar programs, I learned more about what it was like to be in my own shoes. A few of the questions pertained to my goals, anxieties and comforts so I will end this entry by sharing those with you as well.

I applied for this program because was looking for a challenge, have overwhelming curiosity about the world, and would like to use my skills to do what I can for other people. Even when I was a child, I would watch shows about the less fortunate (animals or people) and be upset but too concerned to change the channel. That care has grown and other influences have made me wonder what situations are really like elsewhere. I would like to experience that for myself and have been raised to embrace a challenge. I have been challenged thus far and will continue to be but it's worth it. I hope to take what I learn and use it in a lifestyle of caring for/with others.
I know change is constant and that change is often indicative of growth but one of my biggest fears is that change that will happen. Frankly, I quite enjoy life right now - the relationships in it and my perspective on it. I am afraid that home will not feel like home when I return and I want to stay my happy-go-lucky self.
Thankfully, I am aware of these challenges and have been busy preparing myself mentally and emotionally. I have a lot of fantastic people in my life that I can turn to for support. Some may understand and some may not, some may be there when I return and some my move on. Nonetheless, I'm taking a deep breath and jumping in. Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment