Sunday, August 7, 2011

Braids


Here in Urkaine, I can’t help but notice how everyone seems to have their own style and how that’s perfectly okay. For example, if I wanted to wear a semi-formal dress to school one day followed by short-shorts and other ‘beachwear,’ and traditional Ukranian outfit the next, that would be perfectly fine. Additionally, people in their fancy dresses don’t think twice about hanging out with beachgoers or those who look like they’re wearing their grandma’s Sunday best. I think people in North America could learn a lot from this boldness – embrace yourself and stand out a little. We’re all different anyway and we all go through different phases and moods so we might as well show it.

What unites all these looks is the care taken to acquire them, from fantastic shoes on their feet all the way up to the many species of braids in their hair.

I’ve never been one to wear stilettos up loose cobblestone hills but these women do it with ease – and have the calves to prove it. (Maybe I should open up a physio practice here – I’m sure I could have a career’s worth of knee, ankle and back ailments to keep me busy!) The braid are a little bit more functional: with practice, they don’t take too long and they keep your hair out of your face. However, I think I originally overrated these braids . . .
At the orphanage (that’s not exactly just an orphanage) - Internat – the girls enjoy having their hair braided and doing the braids. Since I’ve never had my whole head braided, I asked if they wanted to braid my hair. Now, I won’t call that a mistake because it was definitely a learning opportunity, but I will say that it will not be happening again. Brace yourself - here is the resultant blackmailing fuel, for your viewing pleasure:  


No comments:

Post a Comment